**City Commission & CRA Meeting Agendas | CLICK HERE**
**WPB Offers Yard Waste Amnesty Days for Advance Hurricane Season Preparation**
**April 22 – May 31 | Click Here**
ROAD & DOCK CLOSURES UPDATE: WEEK OF MAY 26, 2019

The weekly listing of closures around the City of West Palm Beach

Learn More
VISION ZERO WEST PALM BEACH TASK FORCE CELEBRATES SIGNING OF FLORIDA HOUSE BILL 107

The widely supported bill makes texting while driving a primary offense

Learn More
History & Redevelopment of Clematis Street

HISTORY AND REDEVELOPMENT OF CLEMATIS STREET

  • The configuration of Clematis Street as it is known today has its origins in the initial settlement of the city by Henry M. Flagler's surveyors and engineers for the East Coast Railroad (1893)
 
  • City planner John Nolen surveyed the city and created a general plan for development (1923)
 
  • In the early 1990s the street was converted back to a two-way street, travel lanes were reduced, intersections were raised for pedestrians, mid-block crossings were constructed, and the now iconic palms and live oaks were added
 
  • City adopted the Downtown Master Plan, setting the ground rules for the future growth of downtown West Palm Beach as a pedestrian friendly environment (1995)
 
  • The 500 block of Clematis Street listed in the National Register of Historic Places (1996)
 
  • Downtown Master Plan Update created a conservation district to preserve the scale of the existing buildings and protect the character of the street (2007); transfer of development rights was allowed to compensate property owners for the preservation of the buildings
 
  • A library located at the east end of Clematis Street was demolished in 2009 and a new waterfront park and pavilion opened to the public in February 2010; provides access and connection to the waterfront from Clematis Street
 
  • New library and city hall complex built on the Clematis Street Corridor, adding life to the street and replacing an old building that had been vacant for 10 years (2009)