City of West Palm Beach Announces Homelessness Task Force Recommendations
Task Force Convened by Mayor Jeri Muoio to Prevent Homelessness in WPB
VIDEO: Mayor-Commission Work Session (July 9, 2018):
Homelessness Task Force Recommendations
(Click on the image to watch the video)
At the City of West Palm Beach Mayor-Commission workshop on July 10, 2018, Housing and Community Development Director Armando Fana presented to Mayor Jeri Muoio and members of the City Commission the findings and recommendations of the Homelessness Task Force. The task force WAS formed by Mayor Muoio in April to address the issue of homelessness, a complex issue affecting cities and counties across the U.S. as our nation struggles with an opioid epidemic, lack of structures and resources for mental health, and rising housing costs. To continue reading, please visit: http://wpb.org/News-Video/Archive-News/THE-CITY-OF-WEST-PALM-BEACH-ANNOUNCES-HOMELESSNESS
CLOSURES, REPAIRS FOR CURRIE PARK BOAT RAMPS
The City of West Palm Beach is currently undertaking repairs to the Currie Park boat ramps located at 2400 Flagler Drive. Please note the following partial and full closures:
- Partial closure: Effective July 13, 2018, ramps 1 and 2 will be closed. All other Currie Park boat ramps will remain open.
- Full closure: Effective July 23, 2018, all Currie Park boat ramps will be closed for repairs. Ramps will not be accessible during the construction period of up to 45 days.
Currie Park will remain open from sunrise to sunset.
During the closure, boaters who wish to launch their watercrafts may do so at these area boat ramps:
- Phil Foster Park, 900 E. Blue Heron Boulevard, Riviera Beach
- Jim Berry Light Harbor Park, 1800 Broadway, Riviera Beach
- Lake Park Marina, 205 Lake Shore Drive, Lake Park
- Bryant Park South, 100 South Golfview Road, Lake Worth
- John Prince Park Public Boat Ramp, 2520 Lake Worth Road, Lake Worth
For more information about area boat ramp locations, please visit: https://public.myfwc.com/LE/boatramp/public/. For more information about repairs to the Currie Park Boat Ramps, contact the City of West Palm Beach at (561) 822-1200.
SEMI-FINALISTS NAMED IN 12x12 COMPETITION FOR SPACE IN CLEMATIS STREET BUSINESS HUB
Twenty-six small business owners are now one step closer to realizing their dream of opening a new business in a striking new storefront on Clematis Street. After evaluating a pool of 50 applicants, the judges have identified the group of semi-finalists who will proceed to the next step in the 12x12 business competition for prime retail space at reduced rents in Downtown West Palm Beach. The business competition is presented by the City of West Palm Beach and West Palm Beach Downtown Development Authority (DDA). To continue reading, please visit: http://wpb.org/News-Video/Archive-News/SEMI-FINALISTS-NAMED-IN-12x12-COMPETITION-FOR-SPAC.
Congratulations Phipps Park 10U Baseball Team
They did it! The West Palm Beach Phipps Park 10U team captured the State Championship, 8-6 vs. Lutz!
Congratulations to the coaches and players!
WPB Library Foundation Announces
Board Chair, Vice Chair
Natalie M. Alvarez Dianne G. Bernstein
The West Palm Beach Library Foundation announced the recent appointment of two dynamic members to its Board of Directors: Natalie M. Alvarez will serve as board chair and Dianne G. Bernstein will serve as vice-chair. Both are two-year terms. Alvarez and Bernstein will provide strategic leadership to the Foundation and work with the Board to plan Library Foundation programs for the 2018-2019 season, including the annual Food for Thought fundraiser in spring 2019. They will also support the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach vital programs and services. To continue reading, please visit: http://wpb.org/News-Video/Archive-News/WPB-LLIBRARY-FOUNDATION-ANNOUNCES-BOARD-CHAIR,-VIC
Click on the Image to Watch the Video!
VIDEO: Mayor-Commission Work Session (July 9, 2018):
Sunset Lounge and Related Projects
VIDEO: Mayor-Commission Work Session (July 9, 2018):
Northmore Elementary Education Initiatives
VIDEO: 'Play Sidewalk' to Bring New Life to Quadrille Blvd.
ROAD CLOSURES UPDATE:
WEEK OF JULY 15, 2018
CITY OF WEST PALM BEACH CLOSURES
- Clematis Streetscape Project (through October): 300 block of Clematis St. between S. Olive Ave. and S. Dixie Hwy. is closed to road traffic during construction. Pedestrian traffic will remain unaffected, and businesses will remain open.
- Georgia Ave: Partial closures between Dobbins St. and Nottingham Blvd. for stormwater improvements. One lane northbound is open to traffic. Southbound traffic is detoured to Nottingham Blvd., Lake Ave. or Bradley St.
- Briggs and Dobbins Streets: Closed to local traffic between Garden Ave. and Georgia Ave. for stormwater improvements. Eastbound traffic on Briggs St. may turn right only at Georgia Ave. On-street parking is prohibited in the work zone.
- 500 block of Clematis St. for Moonfest Bark + Bites Sunday Brunch (July 15, 2018, 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.)
- Clematis by Night (July 19, 2018 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.)Road closures on North & South Clematis St. between Narcissus Ave. and Flagler Dr., and Narcissus Ave. between North Clematis St. and Banyan Blvd.
PALM BEACH COUNTY ENGINEERING & PUBLIC WORKS CLOSURES IN CITY OF WPB:
- Okeechobee Blvd (through August 31, 2018) from Tallahassee Dr. to Spencer Dr., the outside eastbound lane will be closed, 9:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday for turn lane, sidewalk, and striping installation.
- Congress Ave. (through Aug 5, 2018) just north of Okeechobee Blvd. to Ware Dr. is closed round-the-clock for bridge removal and culvert installation at the “F” Canal. Motorists may detour via Okeechobee Blvd. and Palm Beach Lakes Blvd.
- Belvedere Rd. (periodic westbound lane closure) from N. Florida Mango Rd. to Mercer Ave. for underground utility work.
- N. Congress Ave. (periodic northbound and southbound lane closures) north of Presidential Way to Embassy Dr. for water main, driveway and median installation.
- Australian Ave. (median closures): Water valve replacements are underway 650 feet south of 25th St.
- Roebuck Rd. (periodic westbound daytime lane closures): FPL pole installation on Roebuck Rd. 950 feet east of Easley Dr. to Haverhill Rd. Flaggers will be controlling alternating traffic. Westbound traffic will be shifted into one of the eastbound left turn lanes at the intersection of Haverhill Rd.
- Haverhill Rd. (periodic northbound lane closures): Alternating traffic with flaggers controlling traffic north of Roebuck Rd. for FPL pole replacement.
- Australian Ave. (periodic closures.): Water main, water valve replacements, driveway and median installation south of 25th St. Periodic closures for the open median, northbound and southbound lanes.
- Banyan Blvd. and Australian Ave: Southbound outside left turn lane and eastbound right lane closures for a water main connection.
- For more information, contact PBC Engineering & Public Works: (561) 684-4000 or http://discover.pbcgov.org/engineering/Pages/default.aspx.
FLORIDA DEPT. OF TRANSPORTATION (FDOT) CLOSURES IN CITY OF WPB
- Up the Grove Lane (through Aug. 3, 2018) will have the northbound outside lane closed, 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, for curb installation and paving operations.
- For more information, contact FDOT: (866) 336-8435 or http://www.fdot.gov/.
City of West Palm Beach road and dock closures updates are issued weekly by the City and may be viewed online at http://wpb.org/News-Video/Road-Closure-Updates.
AS SEEN IN PREVIOUS EDITIONS OF
Public Invited to Community Budget Workshops
The City of West Palm Beach will host a series of Community Budget Workshops to discuss the Fiscal Year 2019 budget. Members of the public are invited to attend and to participate as decisions are made about funding for City projects and programs.
The workshops will be held in each of the City’s five districts:
July 23, 2018, 6PM; Fire Station #3, 5050 Broadway (District 1)
July 24, 2018, 6PM; Fire Station #5, 500 N. Congress (District 2)
July 26, 2018, 6PM; City Hall, Flagler Gallery (District 3)
July 31, 2018, 6PM; Fire Station #7, 8011 Okeechobee Boulevard (District 5)
August 1, 2018, 6PM; U.B. Kinsey Community Center, 720 8th Street (District 3)
August 2, 2018, 6PM; Fire Station #2, 4301 S. Dixie Highway (District 5)
The first public hearing to adopt the tentative budget and millage rate is scheduled for September 13, 2018. The final public hearing to adopt the final budget and millage rate is scheduled for September 27, 2018. FY 2019 Budget will go into effect October 1, 2018.
For more information, contact Budget Manager Linda McDermott at (561) 822-1342.
Mayor’s Neighborhood Meetings Schedule
The Mayor's Neighborhood Meetings, facilitated by the City in the Flagler Gallery at City Hall, are an important way for neighborhoods to learn updates specific to their community, to strengthen ties between neighborhoods and the City and for the public to communicate ideas that can help shape City policy. Representatives from City departments are present at the meetings to answer questions previously submitted by neighborhood association presidents for discussion as agenda items. Please note the updated schedule of Mayor’s Neighborhood Meetings for the remainder of 2018:
Western Neighborhoods Meetings: All meetings start at 4:30PM in the Flagler Gallery
South End Neighborhoods Meetings: All meetings start at 5:30PM in the Flagler Gallery
North End Neighborhoods Meetings: All meetings start at 5:30PM in the Flagler Gallery
This schedule is tentative and subject to change.
To receive email updates about the 2018 Neighborhood Meetings or to receive notices of Neighborhood Meetings schedule changes, please email Jose Tagle, City of West Palm Beach Neighborhood Services Coordinator in the Office of Mayor Jeri Muoio, at email@example.com. For additional information, call (561) 822-1412.
Do you have a unique skill or talent to offer?
Please take a moment to share your talents, interests, hobbies, training, and experiences with us. Volunteers of all ages, experiences and locations in the community are needed. Are you ready to make a difference? To learn more about becoming a City of West Palm Beach volunteer, please visit: http://wpb.org/volunteer.
Check WPB trolley routes, stops on the Trolley Tracker!
Sign up for WPB emergency alerts on Code Red!
Report a pothole, fix issues on SeeClickFix!
DOWNLOAD IT ON THE APP STORE:
GET IT ON GOOGLEPLAY:
2018 Holiday Sanitation Schedule
There will be regular service on the following holidays:
- Independence Day - July 4, 2018
- Labor Day - September 3, 2018
- Columbus Day - October 8, 2018
- Veterans Day - November 12, 2018
There will be NO service on the following holidays:
- Thanksgiving Day, November 22, 2018; Residential garbage will resume on your next scheduled service day beginning 11/26/18. Recycling will resume on 11/29/18. Bulk/Yard and Commercial Divisions are one day behind regular schedule.
- Christmas Day, December 25, 2018: Residential garbage will resume your next scheduled service day beginning 12/28/18. Recycling will resume on 1/1/19. Bulk/Yard and Commercial Divisions are one day behind regular schedule.
- New Year's Day, January 1, 2019: Residential garbage will resume on your next scheduled service day beginning 1/4/19. Recycling will operate on normal schedule. Bulk/Yard and Commercial Divisions are one day behind regular schedule.
The sanitation schedule is produced by the City of West Palm Beach Department of Public Works. For more information, please call (561) 822-2075.
Check out the City of West Palm Beach Twitter family:
Mayor Jeri Muoio:
Office of Sustainability:
Office of Economic Development:
Mandel Public Library of WPB:
West Palm Beach Fire Rescue:
West Palm Beach Police: