WPB’S Mandel Public Library to begin Walk-Up Pickup Service
WEST PALM BEACH, FLA. (June 24, 2020) – The Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach will begin a contactless walk-up pickup service beginning on Monday, June 29, 2020. The new service will allow patrons to pick up physical library materials Mondays through Fridays from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. until further notice. The Mandel Public Library is committed to providing safe access to the tens of thousands of physical materials through this new walk-up pickup service, in addition to the expanded access to online resources it has been offering since March.
While the library doors remain currently closed, patrons have been enjoying hundreds of virtual programs on the library’s social media pages and its digital library. However, patrons also have been requesting materials housed in the downtown building so the library staff developed a safe, viable solution.
Safety protocols are in place for this new pickup system, and library staff will always follow strict guidelines when handling library materials by wearing gloves and masks. In addition, all physical materials will be disinfected and placed in quarantine for 48 hours prior to being checked out to the next patron. Patrons will not be in direct contact with any library staff.
The library will begin taking holds on material starting on Monday, June 29, 2020 via phone and email. There is no limit to the amount of materials requested, and library staff will pull as many available items as requested for checkout. All checkout policies remain the same (three weeks for books, two weeks for express books and magazines, and one week for CDs and DVDs), with all eligible items automatically renewing.
How patrons can pick up materials at the library:
- Those who wish to check out materials must have a library card with the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach. Those who do not currently have a card can register for a card at wpbcitylibrary.org or call (561) 868-7701 (TTY 800-955-8771). NOTE: Patrons do not have to be residents of the City of West Palm Beach.
- Patrons can place holds on materials directly through the library’s online catalog, call the library at (561) 868-7701, or email requests to firstname.lastname@example.org. Library staff will get materials ready and notify patrons via email or phone when ready.
- Once patrons receive a notification to pick up their items, they should call (561) 868-7744 to let the library know what day and time they plan to pick up the items. NOTE: Holds can be picked up only Monday - Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Once parked and/or walking up to the library, patrons should call (561) 868-7744. When alerted, library staff will check out items and place them in a paper bag. NOTE: Patrons can park in the City Center Public Parking garage on the corner of Banyan Blvd. and Dixie Hwy. for 15 minutes without being charged an hourly fee.
- Patrons must present a valid photo ID to staff via the library’s glass main doors. Library staff will then place the patron’s bag with checked out items on a table in the lobby area outside of the library’s main doors. NOTE: Patrons will not be entering library to obtain materials.
While the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach cannot give a specific reopening date at this time, its staff is working diligently with City officials on a re-opening plan. The library’s most important goal during this time is to ensure the safety of patrons and staff and is, therefore, monitoring CDC guidelines, City policies, and daily conditions of the community.
In the meantime, the Mandel Public Library is offering a plethora of virtual services and programs at wpbcitylibrary.org and on their social media pages. Programs include job help, fitness, storytimes, arts and crafts, tutoring and much more.
About the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach
Founded in 1895, the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach has evolved from a modest Reading Room along the waterfront to an innovative and cutting-edge facility located in the heart of Downtown West Palm Beach. The Mandel Public Library provides a wide range of programming for kids, teens, and adults focused on creating inspired lives by connecting people with information and ideas. Today, the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach welcomes over half a million visitors annually and loans over 725,000 items to 105,000+ library cardholders. For more information, visit mycitylibrary.org or call (561) 868-7700 (TTY 800-955-8771).