WEST PALM BEACH, FLA (Aug 19, 2019) –
The City of West Palm Beach is moving toward final design approval of a multimillion dollar utility and stormwater improvement project for historic Southland Park and Prospect Park which includes the north Washington Road corridor. The project will address the issue of flooding and features a wide array of infrastructure improvements for the neighborhoods.
Project highlights, which address the issue of flooding, include:
- A new stormwater discharge system south of Monceaux Rd. to reduce runoff flowing to the Monceaux Rd. and Flagler Dr. intersection and to reduce “spillover” from Washington Rd. toward Monceaux Rd.;
- Installation of storm drains and pipes to capture and discharge the runoff from Avila Rd.;
- New storm pipe under George S. Petty Park to increase the rate that stormwater is drained and discharged from Washington Rd.;
- Storm drains installed on Washington and Monceaux Rds.
The project features other infrastructure improvements and will include construction of roadway, bicycle lanes, and sidewalks; fire hydrants; landscaping; and the relocation of water services from the rear of homes to the street front for easier maintenance.
Current project calendar is as follows:
- August 2019: The stormwater discharge design for George S. Petty Park will be presented to the Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee (PRAC) for non-binding advisory review.
- November 2019: The City is expected to approve full design plans and expedite permitting. Contractors will be invited to bid on the project.
- April 2020: Construction is expected to proceed.
The scope of the project spans 2/3 mile along Washington Rd., bound by Monceaux Rd. to the north and Edgewood Dr. to the south. The project also includes portions of Marlborough Rd. and Vincent Rd.
For more information:
- Washington Rd. Project Manager; Suzanne Berglund, (561) 494-1075, (TTY) 800-855-8771; firstname.lastname@example.org
- CWPB Marketing & Community Outreach; Larry Ganns, (561) 822-1418, (TTY) 800-855-8771 email@example.com