IMPORTANT NOTICE: As of 4/3/2020 you must have an appointment to meet with someone at City Hall. A drop-box is provided at the entrance of City Hall for those in-person customers who wish to drop-off permit and business tax applications. No interior inspections of occupied property is being done at this time by Code Officers.
Email your questions and applications to email@example.com
Business tax is a tax you pay to the City for the privilege of doing business in the City. You are required to complete the correct application (see Forms), pay fees, and in most cases have inspections in order to comply and be issued a local business tax receipt formerly known as occupational license.
Business tax is regulated by Florida Statute Chapter 205 as well as City of West Palm Beach Ordinance Chapter 82.
It’s an annual tax (and sometimes other fees) and it expires each year on September 30th.
At a minimum you will be required to provide at time of application the following:
- Completed application with signature
- Social security number (SS#), federal employer identification number (FEIN), or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Your business name registration from the Florid Division of Corporations www.sunbiz.org (this is the business name you will advertise to customers)
- A copy of your state license for the business that you operate if applicable
The fees vary depending on nature of business. The City of West Palm Beach Business Tax classifications and rate schedule can be found in Section 82-163 of our municode.
There may be other requirements in order to issue your business tax receipt. To start the process, email firstname.lastname@example.org your application and any questions you have. Allow 5 to 10 business days to process. An associate will be in touch with next steps and payment options.
Other items related to business tax include:
- Rental Tax
- Commercial Tax
- Vacation Rental (example Airbnb)
- Zoning approval for Palm Beach County Application
- Certificate of Use (COU)
- To pay Business Tax online go to: https://onestopshop.wpbgov.com/eGovPlus/license/buslic.aspx
- Enter your account number only and click search. Follow the prompts to payment.
- Visa and Mastercard Only.
- Email your business address to BusinessTax@wpb.org with the subject line "Zoning Sign Off"
- An associate will contact you with next steps.