We need volunteers in many areas! We hope you’ll find your “niche” in the descriptions listed below. You can specialize in one area, or do a little bit of everything!
NOTE: Must be a minimum of 16 years old to volunteer.
Nature Center Steward (includes office responsibilities)
- Interact with and greets all visitors, dispense information, answer phones, make program reservations, etc.
- Includes some office duties, including word processing.
- Must be outgoing and enjoy working with the public.
- Become familiar with basic Nature Center operations and develop knowledge of the Preserve’s plants, animals, and habitats.
Canoe and/or Kayak Assistant
- Help with a variety of public and specialty canoe and kayak outings. These programs include school field trips, family outings, visiting camps, and others.
- Programs vary from one to three hours and are offered on both weekends and weekdays at varying times.
- Help with setup and breakdown. This includes unloading boats before outing and getting supplies together for trip, including radios, first aid kit, paddles, life vests, etc.
- May be asked to paddle with children and inexperienced adults
- May act as sweep boat, keeping the group together and assisting with rescues.
- Must be a fairly adept paddler and be able to lift the canoes and kayaks off and back onto storage racks.
- Must enjoy working outdoors and working with the public.
- Must be physically fit enough to lift boats and tow occupied struggling canoes.
- Group or independent trail clearing and trail maintenance (may include use of approved herbicide).
- Exotic plant removal and restoration days scheduled 1-2 days per year.
- Patrol Preserve properties. Monitor general condition along trail, and may remove trash, prune and trim brush. Report if any action is needed.
- Become familiar with native and exotic plants and learn to distinguish between the two.
- Monitor preserve areas as assigned to determine plant and animal activities such as what’s blooming, who’s nesting, water levels, etc.
- Must be physically able to do occasional strenuous activities such as hiking in the swamp, digging, chopping, etc.