For the latest information on closures, please visit our What's Open, What's Closed Page.
The information below is retained for reference only.
UPDATE, April 3, 2020: As per executive order from the Mayor, all City of West Palm Beach facilities are now open to the public by appointment only. All visitors wishing to schedule an appointment may do so by calling the appropriate number on the departmental phone directory.
Some City facilities and services have experienced closures or shortened hours due to the recent emergence of COVID-19. Here is a current list of changes for the City of West Palm Beach.
- BUILDING INSPECTIONS: As of 3/19/2020 Code Compliance is not inspecting the interior of occupied properties.. For Development Services’ resources contact information, please visit: https://www.wpb.org/government/development-services.
- VICKERS HOUSE: Vickers House, the City’s social services resource center, is now seeing clients on an appointment-only basis. To make an appointment, please call: (561) 804-4970 (TTY: 800-955-8771)
- ON-STREET MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES FOR HOMELESS: Mental Health America on-street services to the City’s homeless population are suspended until further notice. In addition, the City’s homeless engagement team, provided by the Lord’s Place, will provide virtual services until further notice. To reach the Lord’s Place community outreach department, call (561) 234-6752 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GRASSY WATERS PRESERVE NATURE CENTER:
The City of West Palm Beach is temporarily closing all public boardwalks, docks, biking, and walking/hiking trails at Grassy Waters Preserve, located at 8264 Northlake Blvd., through April 15, 2020. The Preserve closures include: The Nature Center (including Kayak and Canoe docks), Hog Hammock Trail, Eagle Trail, Gator Lake, Cypress Boardwalk Trail, Owahee Trail. Grassy Waters Preserve is located at 8264 Northlake Blvd. Info: https://www.wpb.org/government/public-utilities/grassy-waters-preserve
- PUBLIC MEETINGS: Public meetings are continuing as planned, many have been scheduled a virtual meetings with options for video and/or audio contributions. Please visit the City Meetings Calendar for further information. Social distancing is strongly encouraged at any venue.
- LIBRARY: The Mandel Public Library will remain closed until further notice. No materials will be due at this time. Please take advantage of our online e-books, movies, music & more. Call 561-868-7701 (TTY: 800-955-8771) for more information. We know that many of you who use our library services may have some questions. Below is a list of services still available to you:
If you are interested in using our library services virtually, the library has a wide variety of digital offerings for library cardholders. These offerings include e-books and audiobooks, streaming TV and movies, music downloads, databases and more. Visit this page for more information on how to Connect 24/7 to the library.
MATERIALS CURRENTLY CHECKED OUT:
If you have an item that is currently checked out, you will have a new due date of June 1, 2020.
GET A FREE LIBRARY CARD:
Those who don’t have a library card may apply for one by visiting this page or calling (561) 868-7701 (TTY: 800-955-8771). This card will provide immediate access to the library’s digital content for a year. Your new card will be mailed to you. Once the library is back open, use your card to check out books at the library!
MATERIALS ON HOLD:
You will not be able to place holds on physical materials at this time. Holds currently in the system will be honored once we resume normal operations.
GET IN TOUCH!:
If you need to update your library card, get a card, get help downloading movies or books, ask a question or want to learn about our online resources, call (561) 868-7701 or (TTY: 800-955-8771). You may also email MPL@wpbcitylibrary.org, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
We will continue to update you on any changes in our operations as warranted and encourage you to visit the City of West Palm Beach web page https://www.wpb.org/ for related COVID-19 updates.
- CITY HALL: Open to the public by appointment only. If you wish to do so, please call the appropriate department phone number on the departmental directory.
The following are rumors being circulated and are NOT true:
- A curfew has NOT been ordered for the City of West Palm Beach.
- QUESTIONS FOR THE CITY?: Call the Mayor’s Response Hotline: (561) 822-2222 (TTY: 800-955-8771).
With our residents’ wellbeing and safety at the forefront, West Palm Beach Mayor Keith A. James and the City of West Palm Beach continue to monitor the effort to limit the spread of COVID-19. The City is following the guidance set forth by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and the Florida Department of Health in Palm Beach County, who are leading the efforts in our state to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The City’s Emergency Operations Center remains activated at Level 2 operations.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the public is strongly encouraged to practice social distancing and avoid any unnecessary travel. The use of a face mask or covering is recommended in situations where social distancing may be difficult. Social distancing measures include limiting large groups of people coming together, closing buildings and canceling events.
For information on social distancing, please download the following guidelines.